Skip to main content

Movie Review: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

First of all, I want to apologise for this review being late. I was in the middle of writing my review for The Handmaid's Tale when I saw this movie last Friday.

I have to be honest in my reviews, and honestly, I didn't like The Force Awakens. I was very disappointed by this movie. And before I get eaten alive by the fanboys, let me say that I wanted to like The Force Awakens. I went in with a lot of hope and high expectations.

And, this is a spoiler free review. Also, it's a long review. I hate writing long reviews, but I have a lot to say about this movie.

My major complaint about The Force Awakens is the script. Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt basically rewrote the whole original trilogy, plot point by plot point. There is nothing original in this story. The story is so recycled that it becomes predictable. There are scenes in this movie that are supposed to be filled with tension and have you wondering what's going to happen next, but I knew exactly how they were going to end.

It is appalling how recycled this movie is. For instance, the story begins on a desert planet that is not Tatooine, but it looks exactly like Tatooine. I can actually write a whole post about the similarities between The Force Awakens and the original trilogy. And it will be a damn long post.

And this has nothing to do with this movie being set in the same Universe as the OT. It's not an excuse to be recycling the story. Same Universe or not, a movie needs to be original and innovating. The Force Awakens fails to be both.

The original trio - the one that Disney bated us with - has been completely wasted in this movie. Such a shame too, because obviously Luke, Leia and Han have been through a lot during these thirty years, but those events are only mentioned briefly, in between jokes and punchlines. Jokes and punchlines, that after twenty or so minutes become as recycled as the movie itself.

The new heroes are likable. But we have virtually no time to get to know them. In the original movie, we had plenty of time to get to know Luke, before he set out to Alderaan with Kenobi. We knew his motivations, we knew what kind of person he was and what his dreams were. These new characters have as much emotional depth as a pair of ewoks. And it's not the actors' fault. Ridley and Boyega are good actors. They are, perhaps, the only good thing about this movie. Again, it's the writing that fails us.


Speaking of depth, this movie has none. Star Wars is more than just a fun space adventure. All six movies - yes, even the prequels - have depth to them. This is why I love Star Wars. In between the action scenes, there are characters to get to know, there are themes to explore. There are conflicts that need to be resolved. There is no depth in this movie. They don't even take the time to set up the world, to explain what has been going on during these past thirty years. The movie is so fast-paced and chopped, that there is no time to take a break and explain a few things, like the Force. Remember when Kenobi sat down with Luke and explained to him how the Force worked? Yeah, there are no scenes like that in this movie. It's like the writers just assume that we know all the important parts.

Lucas may have dropped the ball on the prequels when it comes to acting, dialogue and practical effects, but at least he had a vision with these movies. Star Wars is his baby, and no matter how we fans may feel about him, there is no Star Wars without Lucas' input. I read that Disney rejected every idea he came up with for the sequel. Well, maybe they should have listened. At least he had a vision, a story he wanted to tell. What vision did Abrams have? What story did he want to tell? I'm not being sarcastic here, I really want to know.

When Disney bought Lucafilm from old George, it was only a matter of time before they would start planning a new trilogy in order to get their money back. I understand that this movie is a cash grab. Yes, they are milking it. But that fact should not stop them from at least trying to write a decent script and coming up with fresh material. Instead they thought it was enough to rely on the loyalty of the fans and push our nostalgia buttons. We'll see anything, as long as it has a Star Wars logo on it, right?

The Force Awakens is not a sequel to Return of the Jedi, it's a reboot of the whole original trilogy. At best. Because sometimes it felt like I was watching a fan made film with a budget of two hundred million dollars.

If you disagree with me, and if The Force Awakens is exactly what you wanted in a Star Wars movie, then I'm truly happy for you. I, for one, will not be watching this movie again. I gave it 3/10 stars on IMDB.

As far as sequels go, The Force Awakens is my biggest disappointment since Terminator 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading

Schoolz out for the summer! For the next two months, I won't have to learn anything new about odontology, medicine, or the physical properties of dental cements. Also, I can finally read for fun again . I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have fallen out of love with reading, and at that time it really did feel that way. Now, I feel like I'm getting my bookworm mojo back, and I'm already working on my next book review. I have also assembled a short and preliminary list of books I want to read this summer. Some of them are new to me, but there are a few re-reads as well.  I bought my copy of The House of Binding Thorns on a whim because I loved the cover. Also, I almost never read anything by French authors, and I'd like to change that. Endymion is, of course, the third book in the Hyperion Cantos series. The first two books completely blew me away. Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't think about those stories.  The two re-r

Book Review: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin

Title: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin Author: Mukhamet Shayakhmetov Translated by: Jan Butler Year of publishing: 2007 Publisher: The Overlook Press Source: Purchased Genre: historical nonfiction This is a first-hand account of the genocide of the Kazakh nomads in the 1920s and 30s. Nominally Muslim, the Kazakhs and their culture owed as much to shamanism and paganism as they did to Islam. Their ancient traditions and economy depended on the breeding and herding of stock across the vast steppes of central Asia, and their independent, nomadic way of life was anathema to the Soviets. Seven-year-old Shayakhmetov and his mother and sisters were left to fend for themselves after his father was branded a "kulak" (well-off peasant and thus class enemy), stripped of his possessions, and sent to a prison camp where he died. In the following years the family travelled thousands of miles across Kazakhstan by foot, surviving on the charity of rel

Big Site News (I'm Moving!)

What's up guys! It's been over a week since I got back from Montreal and I can't believe it's all over now. But life goes on, and I sure have a lot of stuff to cross off my list before the end of summer. First, there's Campnanowrimo, which I do every July (and April). I took this opportunity to finish the first draft of my new novel. I'm also moving! No, I don't mean like to a new city (or Canada). I'm moving this blog to Wordpress. I've been wanting and planning to switch to Wordpress for a long time, and now finally seems like the right time. Nothing will change. I will be posting book reviews, discussions, and an occasional Top Ten- list. But I will be doing it on a platform that will allow me to be more creative, and to grow as a writer. I want this to eventually become an author website, with that author being... well, me. The official date for the move will be announced as soon as I'll finish building my Wordpress site and transport