Skip to main content

Ten Books I Love but Didn't Blog About (yet).



Welcome to another round of Top Ten Tuesday - a weekly feature hosted by the girls of The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you can post a new fun list. Click on the link above if you want to learn more.
 

This week it's all about books that we love but that we haven't talked about very much. Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to list ten fantastic books that I haven't had the chance to review on my blog yet.  
 
I'm not including anything by Bradbury or Asimov or any of the grandfathers of science fiction who fostered my love for reading, because they'd end up taking up the whole list.
 
So here we go:
 
1. Feed, by M.T. Anderson  

Feed is one of those books that will get under your skin. And not just because it's about IT being implanted directly into your brain. This book highlights everything that is wrong with our technological society and takes it to a whole new level. In a way, this book is like YA Fahreinheit 451.


 
2. The Shining, by Stephen King

Now this is one of the books that I can never shut up about. This may be the best book King has ever written. A lot of people mistake The Shining for a typical ghost story, while it's actually a very realistic drama about family, alcoholism and abuse.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a review of this book on my Goodreads page.

 
 
3. Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie

If I have to pick one book that defined my childhood, it's got to be Peter Pan. I loved the book, and I loved the animated Disney film. 


 
4. The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein

Okay, I haven't technically read the book. Instead, I watched this video of Gillian Anderson reading from it. I knew it was supposed to be this classic, but what I didn't know was how moved I would be by the story.
 

 

 
5. A Time on Earth, by Vilhelm Moberg

This may be the first book that I have read in Swedish. It's about a Swedish man who has emigrated to the United States when he was young, and who is now looking back on his life. It's sad and reflective, and very touching.


 
6. The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov

I don't even know if you can summarise this book in one small blurb. But I'll give it a try:

"The Devil comes to Moscow in the 1930's to hold his Centennial ball. He seeks out a woman named Margarita to be his Queen on said ball. As a reward, he promises to reunite her with her lost love - an institutionalised writer, who's only known as the Master."

But this book is so much more than a love story. It's satire; it's a mystery; it has Jesus and Pilate; it has anthropomorphic cats and vampires.




7. The Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan

There isn't really much to say about The Joy Luck Club. It's just a great book about family, about coming to a new land and finding yourself. Plus, it has some very interesting info about the Chinese history and culture. 



 
8. The Yddish Policemen's Union, by Michael Chabon
 
If you want to read a gritty crime drama, set in an alternate timeline, riddled with political games, don't look any further. This book could be adapted into a great movie if the right director would get involved. My personal pick would be David Fincher.



 
9. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

I was probably one of the last people to read this trilogy. Even though I'm not a big fan of this whole teenage-girl-is-the-only-person-who-can-take-down-a-corrupt-government- concept, Collins made it work. Katniss is just a very strong protagonist, and she makes the premise realistic. My only problem with this trilogy is the love triangle.

*Spoilers!*




To be honest, Katniss didn't need to end up with either of the boys.



10. Dracula, by Bram Stoker

Vampires don't sparkle, okay! They hunt humans and suck their blood and make new vampires. They steal newborn babies from their cribs and eat them alive. They seduce innocent women, and ruin people's lives. They're scary and evil and sexy in a very dark and disturbing kind of way.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading

Schoolz out for the summer! For the next two months, I won't have to learn anything new about odontology, medicine, or the physical properties of dental cements. Also, I can finally read for fun again . I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have fallen out of love with reading, and at that time it really did feel that way. Now, I feel like I'm getting my bookworm mojo back, and I'm already working on my next book review. I have also assembled a short and preliminary list of books I want to read this summer. Some of them are new to me, but there are a few re-reads as well.  I bought my copy of The House of Binding Thorns on a whim because I loved the cover. Also, I almost never read anything by French authors, and I'd like to change that. Endymion is, of course, the third book in the Hyperion Cantos series. The first two books completely blew me away. Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't think about those stories.  The two re-r

Book Review: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin

Title: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin Author: Mukhamet Shayakhmetov Translated by: Jan Butler Year of publishing: 2007 Publisher: The Overlook Press Source: Purchased Genre: historical nonfiction This is a first-hand account of the genocide of the Kazakh nomads in the 1920s and 30s. Nominally Muslim, the Kazakhs and their culture owed as much to shamanism and paganism as they did to Islam. Their ancient traditions and economy depended on the breeding and herding of stock across the vast steppes of central Asia, and their independent, nomadic way of life was anathema to the Soviets. Seven-year-old Shayakhmetov and his mother and sisters were left to fend for themselves after his father was branded a "kulak" (well-off peasant and thus class enemy), stripped of his possessions, and sent to a prison camp where he died. In the following years the family travelled thousands of miles across Kazakhstan by foot, surviving on the charity of rel

Big Site News (I'm Moving!)

What's up guys! It's been over a week since I got back from Montreal and I can't believe it's all over now. But life goes on, and I sure have a lot of stuff to cross off my list before the end of summer. First, there's Campnanowrimo, which I do every July (and April). I took this opportunity to finish the first draft of my new novel. I'm also moving! No, I don't mean like to a new city (or Canada). I'm moving this blog to Wordpress. I've been wanting and planning to switch to Wordpress for a long time, and now finally seems like the right time. Nothing will change. I will be posting book reviews, discussions, and an occasional Top Ten- list. But I will be doing it on a platform that will allow me to be more creative, and to grow as a writer. I want this to eventually become an author website, with that author being... well, me. The official date for the move will be announced as soon as I'll finish building my Wordpress site and transport