Skip to main content

Book Review: Demon Eyes (Witch Eyes, #2)

Click here for my review of Witch Eyes, #1

Title: Demon Eyes (Witch Eyes, #2)
Author: Scott Tracey
Year or publishing: 2012
Publisher: Flux
Source: library

Demons don't die without a fight...

After destroying the demon Lucien, Braden—son of Belle Dam’s most powerful warlock, Jason Thorpe—doesn’t need the power of his witch eyes to see that everything in his life is turning against him: friends, family, and even his visions. When disturbing nightmares of Lucien’s return haunt him, Braden discovers that the simmering feud between the city’s two witch dynasties is fast approaching its explosive boiling point.

While struggling to come to terms with his attraction to Trey, Catherine Lansing’s son who should be his mortal enemy, a diabolical plan starts to unveil before Braden’s eyes. Young women are disappearing from Belle Dam, and as he investigates, Braden is forced to explore the dangerous unknown power within himself. But when the truth about his family is revealed, Braden must pay a terrible price.



This is my review for Demon Eyes: the sequel that is better than its predecessor.

I read Witch Eyes in October 2015, and I've been wanting to return to this series ever since. I'm not going to lie: it took me some time and some brain power to remember all the stuff that happened in the first book, and to place all the characters in my mind. But once the catching up part was over, I could fully immerse myself in this fantastic and dark world, filled with magic, mysteries and great characters.

I'm so happy to have read this book. I love it.

Tracey takes everything that is good about his first book, and builds upon it, takes it further. Everything is better in the sequel - the story, the pacing, the characters and the language. Oh, boy, the language! The story is told from the first person perspective - Braden's - and he is a fantastic narrator. He's smart and sarcastic, but he's also deep and kind, and he has a way of expressing himself that is both mature and totally in line for someone his age.

I love the way his character is written. He's a young boy who becomes ostracized from society and is tormented by guilt as the result of something that he did in the first book, but he's still determined to find the missing girls and to get to the bottom of this infected family feud.

He's a strong protagonist, which is why I can't understand why he trails Trey like a love-sick puppy. Their on-and-off relationship is my least favourite part of this story. It's a dysfunctional, emotionally abusive, one way-street relationship that is exhausting just to read about. Luckily, romance is just one of the many subplots of Demon Eyes, and there are other relationships that are far more interesting and exciting that you can focus on.

The supporting characters are stronger and more interesting here than in the first book. In Witch Eyes, I felt like they served as catalysts to move the story forwards. Whereas in the sequel, they show more depth, and we get to know them better. Not everything in the story revolves around Braden, because we see that these characters have their own struggles, and their own shared history. The author teases about it, but just like Braden - who is still new in town - we have to try and figure out their relationships on our own.

As the second part of the trilogy, Demon Eyes follows the unwritten rule of second instalments: it's darker, it's more emotional, the stakes are higher and the ending is more open and a lot darker. But even though this book follows the formula, there is nothing about the story and the character's actions that feels forced. All the things that happen here are a natural progression of the events of the first book.

Another thing about Demon Eyes that is just praise-worthy is the pacing. It's the mystery that keeps the story going, that pushes the characters forward, makes them grow. And Tracey writes his mysteries masterfully. He keeps you guessing and asking questions until the very end. This story is the true definition of the word "puzzle". Nothing is being revealed prematurely, and yet the story doesn't drag.

Demon Eyes is a fantastic book, it's a great sequel, and I recommend it to everyone who enjoys a good mystery.

My rating: 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading

Schoolz out for the summer! For the next two months, I won't have to learn anything new about odontology, medicine, or the physical properties of dental cements. Also, I can finally read for fun again . I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have fallen out of love with reading, and at that time it really did feel that way. Now, I feel like I'm getting my bookworm mojo back, and I'm already working on my next book review. I have also assembled a short and preliminary list of books I want to read this summer. Some of them are new to me, but there are a few re-reads as well.  I bought my copy of The House of Binding Thorns on a whim because I loved the cover. Also, I almost never read anything by French authors, and I'd like to change that. Endymion is, of course, the third book in the Hyperion Cantos series. The first two books completely blew me away. Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't think about those stories.  The two re-r

Book Review: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin

Title: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin Author: Mukhamet Shayakhmetov Translated by: Jan Butler Year of publishing: 2007 Publisher: The Overlook Press Source: Purchased Genre: historical nonfiction This is a first-hand account of the genocide of the Kazakh nomads in the 1920s and 30s. Nominally Muslim, the Kazakhs and their culture owed as much to shamanism and paganism as they did to Islam. Their ancient traditions and economy depended on the breeding and herding of stock across the vast steppes of central Asia, and their independent, nomadic way of life was anathema to the Soviets. Seven-year-old Shayakhmetov and his mother and sisters were left to fend for themselves after his father was branded a "kulak" (well-off peasant and thus class enemy), stripped of his possessions, and sent to a prison camp where he died. In the following years the family travelled thousands of miles across Kazakhstan by foot, surviving on the charity of rel

Big Site News (I'm Moving!)

What's up guys! It's been over a week since I got back from Montreal and I can't believe it's all over now. But life goes on, and I sure have a lot of stuff to cross off my list before the end of summer. First, there's Campnanowrimo, which I do every July (and April). I took this opportunity to finish the first draft of my new novel. I'm also moving! No, I don't mean like to a new city (or Canada). I'm moving this blog to Wordpress. I've been wanting and planning to switch to Wordpress for a long time, and now finally seems like the right time. Nothing will change. I will be posting book reviews, discussions, and an occasional Top Ten- list. But I will be doing it on a platform that will allow me to be more creative, and to grow as a writer. I want this to eventually become an author website, with that author being... well, me. The official date for the move will be announced as soon as I'll finish building my Wordpress site and transport