29 December 2016

The Most Disappointing of 2016

Last week I went through a list of best books, movies and TV- shows that I had the pleasure of discovering in 2016. This week, I'm going in the opposite direction. But rather than making a list of the worst books etc, I want to list all the pop culture stuff that left me disappointed. For instance, there's only one book on this list that I gave a one star rating. It's also why you won't find the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie on this list. Sure, the movie was a piece of bubble gum garbage, but I didn't expect it to be anything else. The titles featured on this list I did have high hopes for.

Books

1. Dawn of Rebellion, by Michelle Lynn

Here's an example of a great premise that has been poorly executed.



2. Hurricane Moon, by Alexis Glynn Latner

And here's another one.



3. Binti, by Nnedi Okorafor

Here's an example of when a book doesn't live up to its hype.



4. Lords of the Sith, by Paul S. Kemp

Who knew that a book about Darth Vader could be so boring?



5. Red Rising, by Pierce Brown

For a bestselling book with a 4,25 star rating on Goodreads, this sure was a disappointment.



6. Daughter of Deaths, by Christopher Mannino

The first book in this series ended up on the Best list. Unfortunately, the final chapter in this epic saga was a letdown. 



Movies


So much hype. So many expectations. Some of them were met (Jared Leto), others weren't (a coherent story, a good villain, character development etc).



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A Tim Burton movie about X-men children that are stuck in a time loop?  This movie had no excuse to be a snooze fest.



Doctor Strange 

The most disappointing MCU movie since Iron Man 3 for me. Maybe someday I'll review it. But that means that I have to watch it again.



TV

Stranger Things

 Good acting and interesting characters didn't make up for the total lack of originality in this Netflix production.


No comments:

Post a Comment