Skip to main content

Ten Books I Changed My Opinion About


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Today, I want to talk about books that I changed my opinion about. There are books that I used to like but don't anymore, and vice versa. It doesn't happen often, just enough times to make a top ten list.


1. Fledgling, by Octavia E. Butler

I read this book about a year ago. I don't know if I was honest with being myself when I gave it four stars. I liked the re-imagining of the vampire genre and the subject of race and identity. But other than that, the story didn't strike me as anything special, and the dialogue was quite awkward at times. Now I'd give it three stars. 



2. Foundation, by Isaac Asimov

This book started my obsession with all things Asimov, but I hated it the first time around. It was just so slow. This book is 99% dialogue and it bored me out of my mind. But at the same time, I wanted to know how the story ended.

It got a lot better with the second reading. After having read the rest of the original trilogy, I was able to enjoy this book more and pick up little fun details I missed the first time. It's one of those books that get better with each re-read. 




3. The Martian, by Andy Weir

Is it safe to say that I initially gave it two stars out of five? It's true. Two thirds into the story, I was so sick of Whatney's wise-cracking that I wanted him to die in the cold Martian desert. But I fell in love with the movie adaptation. It really highlighted the best parts of the book, and it made me see Whatney in a new light, and appreciate his character more. And then I gave the book two more stars.



4. The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas

I used to love this book when I was a "tween" (even though that term hadn't been coined yet). Romance, adventure and beautiful dresses, right? Now this book just seems stupid. Childish and immature. Certainly entertaining, but nothing more. 




5. The Best of All Possible Worlds, by Karen Lord

I only reviewed this book a couple of months ago and already I'm changing my opinion? I'm standing by my original three star rating, but now that the air of novelty has worn off, the story doesn't seem as smart anymore. I still love the relationship between the main characters, but everything outside that storyline is so scatter-brained and incoherent. 



6. A Graveyard for Lunatics, by Ray Bradbury

I didn't finish this book. Abandoned it halfway through. Didn't dig the story, and the language just seemed weird. But I think I was wrong and that this may be a very unusual whodunnit crime story as well as an interesting behind-the-scenes look at the world of old Hollywood.




7. The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown

Remember the hype? Remember the madness? I do. Back then. Iwasn't exactly an avid reader, so I blame my ignorance for liking this literary equivalence of clickbait.




8. Mrs, Dalloway, by Virginia Wolf

Had to read this one in high school. Somebody should have told Madam Wolf about breaking your book into different chapters. Boy, did it feel like an eternity to finish this book. Now, I would like to re-read it. With so many books behind me, and some of them really slow, I think I will able to appreciate the story more. 



9. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

This SF classic was quite a disappointing read. It wasn't scary. It wasn't shocking, and Victor came off as a big crybaby. But as with the case of Mrs. Dalloway, I've come to value this book as more than just a classic. Once you put the book in its historical and cultural context it suddenly becomes so much better.



10. The Harry Potter series, by J. K. Rowling

I used to be somewhat of a potterhead too. I read the first book at the right moment in my life, and I loved it. Four books later, I was just tired of the whole thing. And with the risk of getting the whole reading world against me, I have to say that these books are a little overrated.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading

Schoolz out for the summer! For the next two months, I won't have to learn anything new about odontology, medicine, or the physical properties of dental cements. Also, I can finally read for fun again . I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have fallen out of love with reading, and at that time it really did feel that way. Now, I feel like I'm getting my bookworm mojo back, and I'm already working on my next book review. I have also assembled a short and preliminary list of books I want to read this summer. Some of them are new to me, but there are a few re-reads as well.  I bought my copy of The House of Binding Thorns on a whim because I loved the cover. Also, I almost never read anything by French authors, and I'd like to change that. Endymion is, of course, the third book in the Hyperion Cantos series. The first two books completely blew me away. Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't think about those stories.  The two re-r

Book Review: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin

Title: The Silent Steppe: The Memoir of a Kazakh Nomad Under Stalin Author: Mukhamet Shayakhmetov Translated by: Jan Butler Year of publishing: 2007 Publisher: The Overlook Press Source: Purchased Genre: historical nonfiction This is a first-hand account of the genocide of the Kazakh nomads in the 1920s and 30s. Nominally Muslim, the Kazakhs and their culture owed as much to shamanism and paganism as they did to Islam. Their ancient traditions and economy depended on the breeding and herding of stock across the vast steppes of central Asia, and their independent, nomadic way of life was anathema to the Soviets. Seven-year-old Shayakhmetov and his mother and sisters were left to fend for themselves after his father was branded a "kulak" (well-off peasant and thus class enemy), stripped of his possessions, and sent to a prison camp where he died. In the following years the family travelled thousands of miles across Kazakhstan by foot, surviving on the charity of rel

Big Site News (I'm Moving!)

What's up guys! It's been over a week since I got back from Montreal and I can't believe it's all over now. But life goes on, and I sure have a lot of stuff to cross off my list before the end of summer. First, there's Campnanowrimo, which I do every July (and April). I took this opportunity to finish the first draft of my new novel. I'm also moving! No, I don't mean like to a new city (or Canada). I'm moving this blog to Wordpress. I've been wanting and planning to switch to Wordpress for a long time, and now finally seems like the right time. Nothing will change. I will be posting book reviews, discussions, and an occasional Top Ten- list. But I will be doing it on a platform that will allow me to be more creative, and to grow as a writer. I want this to eventually become an author website, with that author being... well, me. The official date for the move will be announced as soon as I'll finish building my Wordpress site and transport